Long before I created Modern Fifty TV, I was a very poor, very frugal beauty enthusiast who could only afford drugstore makeup. And that was perfectly fine. Because regardless of what anyone says, drugstore makeup is excellent, and I still use it on the daily (seriously—right now, I’m wearing almost exclusively drugstore products on my face). Still, I’m not going to pretend that all drugstore makeup is created equal, just like not all expensive, high-end makeup is automatically “good”—every formula is different, and good vs. bad can change drastically even within a single brand.
But because nobody has time (or money) to play a game of Risk, I went ahead and broke down my absolute favorite—really, truly — makeup products of all time, from the best drugstore liquid lipstick to the best high-end concealer, below.
Must Haves Makeup for Mature Eyes
Bye Bye Under Eye Full Coverage Anti-Aging Waterproof Concealer – A perfect concealer for my dark circles with texture
Bye Bye Pores Airbrush Loose Setting Powder
Elf Perfect Finish HD Powder
Your Skin But Better CC+ Cream with SPF 50+ – foundation that works well for my mid-50s dry skin!
L’Oréal Paris True Match™ Blush
- NYX Taupe eyebrow powder pencil
- Essence eyebrow gel mascara 01 Blondy Brows and 02 Browny – My favorite brow gel. And it costs less than $5!
- Covergirl ultra-fine brow pencil honey brown 715⠀
Smashbox Cover Shoot Eye Shadow Pallet – A perfect travel palette that has everything you need for daytime subtle looks and nighttime smokey looks!
- Essence Get Big! Lashes Volume Boost Mascara (clump-free) – Waterproof? Soft lashes? No smudging or flaking? Length $ Volume? This mascara checks ALL of the boxes!!
- Maybelline Lash Sensational Full Fan Effect Mascara
- L’Oréal Paris Lip Plumper Colour Riche Plump and Shine Lipstick, Coconut Plump, and Watermelon are two of my all-time favorites – one of the most perfect creamy & moisturizing lipstick formulas.
- Essence Lipliner Pillow Talk + Going Steady
- Charlotte Tilbury Pillow Talk – One of my favorite neutral lipstick formulas
- MORPHE – M433 – for transitional color
- MORPHE – M441 – for transitional color
- MORPHE – M431 – pencil brush
- MORPHE – M506 – smaller tapered brush for the crease
- QUO – eye smudger brush
- QUO – lipstick brush
- Elf Flawless Concealer Brush⠀
Raquel Welch Wig “Summer” – RL19/23SS Shaded Biscuit⠀
Vaseline Intensive Care hand and body lotion – This lotion WORKS!
- Garnier Ombrelle Sunscreen Face Sun Protection Ultra – Fluid Lotion SPF 60 – the sunscreen every sensitive, dry-skin gal needs!
- COSRX Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence – this Essence has transformed my skin
- Olay Regenerist Night Recovery Cream – a fantastic daytime, hydrating cream lightweight and wears well under makeup.
- The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% + HA – Super Effective Exfoliator for sensitive skin.
- CLINIQUE Take The Day Away Cleansing Balm – Removes makeup before cleansing.
- Garnier SkinActive Micellar Cleansing Water – Worth the hype. Removes even stubborn makeup.
- The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% – 1st step post-cleanse to keep pores refined & skin clear.
- Avene XeraCalm A.D. lipid-replenishing balm – This has become my staple evening moisturizer.
- 100% Organic Cold Press Rose Hip Oil – My no-fail pm oil for skin balance
Must Haves Accessories
12.0mm Hoop Earrings in 14K White Gold – One of my most asked about pieces of jewellery. I adore it!